Each of our devices meets a chronic health need identified by the clinical teams in Melbourne and internationally, affecting a large proportion of the world’s population – most of the conditions have incidences in the range of 1-5% of the population. Many of the diseases for which these devices offer a potential treatment, are age-related and therefore, the need is likely to increase in Australia in the future.
- Parkinson’s disease affects approximately 0.3% of world’s population - approx 7-10M worldwide
- According to Parkinson's Victoria, approx 30 people are diagnosed with this condition every day in Australia.
- 80% of people with Parkinson's disease are over 65
- In approximately 20-30% of PD sufferers medications (eg L-Dopa) have reduced effects and DBS is indicated
- Epilepsy affects approximately 1% of the world's population
- Approximately 25,000 people in Australia are diagnosed with epilepsy each year
- 30-40% of sufferers have uncontrolled seizures, despite medication
- The majority of these people cannot be treated effectively through surgery and require alternative therapies